January was a pretty busy month. Brenna started talking to a new boy. Chach left for her mission. Chloe came for a visit. Cheridan got hurt. Me? I did all of the things. I’m hopeful that February will be better. In the world and in my life. I’m sitting over here with my fingers crossed because…it needs to get better.
What I Did
Tried two new to me restaurants. Hakata and Burger City Grill. Both local joints that are pretty popular.
Hakata is one of Brenna’s best friend’s family restaurants. They serve ramen noodles and with all of the rain that we got in So Cal in the last month, Hakata was the perfect recipe for cold nights. Since we first went, we’ve gone back twice and I have plans to go back this weekend. Seriously good stuff!
The other restaurant that we tried out is a burger joint that opened up in our neighborhood. The burger joint is owned by one of my good friend’s cousins. Their family specializes in burgers so we weren’t surprised that we enjoyed our food so much. Burger City Grill got two thumbs way up from everyone in our family and it’s become our go-to hangout spot for after the girl’s basketball games. The Santa Monica burger is probably my favorite.
What I Watched
Riverdale: I watched the first episode of this series and I’m intrigued. I like the darker tone to the Archie comics and I also like that in this version of the comic, Veronica and Betty are friends. Close friends. In the grand scheme of things though…at least in this version of Archie – I’m Team Betty. Ha! Sorry Veronica. I can’t wait for more Jughead, too. We didn’t get nearly enough of him in the pilot. They’ve got a storyline going on right now that I hate, hate, hate but I’m hopeful that it won’t last for very much longer since the woman is only in 4 episodes, according to IMDB. *fingers crossed*
Teen Wolf: My loyalty to my ship is finally paying off because…STYDIA IS HAPPENING!! The kiss changed everything guys and I knew in my heart of hearts that was true when it happened, seasons and seasons ago. So every single time that Lydia’s gaze strayed to Stiles in the last two seasons, she was in love with him. Yippy skippy. Gah. I love this teenage drama.
Suits: Another one of my ships that I’m going to keep right on shipping hasn’t happened on this one but dude…Harvey ships Darvey just as much as I do. That guy is still dreaming of my girl Donna. I love it. Now they just need to get together already!
1. Underworld (2003) | Good Stuff
2. Underworld: Evolution (2006) | Good Stuff
3. Underworld: Rise of the Lycans (2009) | Good Stuff
4. My Christmas Love (2016) | Cheesy, but Cute
5. The Accountant (2016) | Good Stuff
6. Underworld: Awakening (2012) | Good Stuff
7. Hidden Figures (2017) | Good Stuff
8. Assassin’s Creed (2016) | Confusing, but Okay
9. The Birthday Wish (2017) | Cheesy, but Cute
10. Spectral (2016) | Interesting, Good Stuff
11. Why Him? (2016) | Stupid Funny
What I Listened To
Planner Videos: I’ve been watching and listening to a lot of planner videos from all of my favorite Happy Planners. I’m addicted.
What I Read
1. Small Admissions by Amy Poeppel | 4 out of 5
2. Solo by Jill Mansell | 1 out of 5
3. Hard Hitter by Sarina Bowen | 4 out of 5
4. Winning the Wallflower by Eloisa James | 4 out of 5
5. Satisfaction by Lexi Blake | 4 out of 5
6. Nine Rules to Break when Romancing a Rake by Sarah MacLean (re-read) | 4.5 out of 5
7. Sustained by Emma Chase (re-read) | 5 out of 5
8. Sidebarred by Emma Chase (re-read) | 5 out of 5
9. Accidentally on Purpose by Jill Shalvis | 3 out of 5
10. Seven Minutes in Heaven by Eloisa James | 4 out of 5
11. Fury on Fire by Sophie Jordan | 3 out of 5
12. By Your Side by Kasie West | 3 out of 5
13. #famous by Jilly Gagnon | 3 out of 5
14. Hollywood Dirty by Alessandra Torre | 4.25 out of 5
15. Coming Up for Air by Miranda Kenneally | 4 out of 5
16. Holding Up the Universe by Jennifer Niven | 4 out of 5
17. The Bastard Billionaire by Jessica Lemmon | 4 out of 5
What I Reviewed
Retro Review: Midnight Angel by Lisa Kleypas | 4.5 out of 5
Small Admissions by Amy Poeppel | 4 out of 5
Retro Review: A Kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaught | 4 out of 5
Retro Review: Just the Sexiest Man Alive by Julie James | 4.75 out of 5
Solo by Jill Mansell | 1 out of 5
Winning the Wallflower by Eloisa James | 4 out of 5
This is Our Song by Samantha Chase | 4 out of 5
Joint Review: Hard Hitter by Sarina Bowen | 4 out of 5
What I Got
Good Boy by Sarina Bowen & Elle Kennedy (Bought)
An Affair with a Notorious Heiress by Lorraine Heath (For Review)
Hollywood Dirt by Alessandra Torre (Gifted)
The Bastard Billionaire by Jessica Lemmon (For Review)
Pretty Face by Lucy Parker (For Review)
What I Loved
Basketball season is under way for us and this past week was rivalry week. Redondo played Costa and North played West. We won!
A few years ago, Meghan played basketball for Redondo and when she played against Costa (I think it was her junior year), they booed her and they taunted her at every turn during the game and my hatred for that school was cemented. I hate that school and their stupid gym. Anyway, it’s a few years later and Meg and I went to watch Kenna and her Lady Seahawks take on that stupid ass school at their house. There were green foam fingers all over the place. Meghan picked one up and sat on it to cushion her seat and as we were leaving the gym (the Redondo boys were spanking the Costa boys), Meghan picked up her foam finger and threw it in the trash. I don’t know why it made my night, but it did. Take that, stupid Costa. LOL.
How was your month in books? In movies? In life?