I can’t believe July has already come and gone. It zipped right on by and I’m struggling with trying to keep up with everything. Between family stuff, basketball stuff and work stuff, I’m all filled up with stuff to do. I also have loads of blog stuff and review book stuff to do too. Oy.
July brings about two very special birthday shout outs:
Happy Heavenly Birthday to my brother Seko and to one of my besties Holly. Both are some of my favorite people and I thought about them during their special days.
1. Mel’s surgery: This month, my brother Mel had heart surgery that kind of freaked everyone out, including Mel. All is well now but it was a pretty rough week when a scheduled treadmill test turns into a rush trip to the ER and a quadruple bypass surgery scheduled. We spent a lot of time at the hospital as a family and praying that all will work out for Mel. He’s out of the hospital now and is recuperating at home. He’s doing well but he’s not 100% yet. I’m not posting a picture of Mel because he told us that we better not post any pictures of him on Facebook, any social media or whatever so you guys get a picture of my sister Ingrid and my niece (Mel’s daughter) Jenna from our shenanigans at the hospital.
2. Mustangs play Ballroom Basketball in Vegas: July and August every year is for Vegas for our family. We have the club tournament that our girls play in July that is played at the Westin at Lake Las Vegas where the entire tournament takes place in the ballroom over there. Very fancy but super fun. It’s always a good time going to Vegas and this time wasn’t any different. My sister Blanche and her daughter Cheridan along with me and Brenna stayed with my sister Ingrid and we watched some good basketball in the fancy ballroom and ate some really good eats. All in all, it was a short but very fun trip.
I’m more of a TV Show watcher but since most all of my shows are on hiatus right now, I’ve been watching a lot of movies outside of reading my little heart out. Here’s what I watched in July.
1. Me Before You: This movie. Ugh. After I read the book, I had no interest in watching the movie but then they freaking cast Khaleesi as Lou and Finnick as Will Trainor and I couldn’t help myself. As much as the book gutted me (and pissed me off because hello? Romance reader here), I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. I ugly cried too. A lot. Not one single damn was given though. I watched it three times in July.
2. Suits: My show Suits is back and my love for all things Harvey and Donna has returned. Lots and lots of drama with Mike in jail for all of his crimes, Harvey and the gang trying to save Mike and themselves with all of the drama that came after Mike went to jail. This season hasn’t been my favorite but I’m still really intrigued by how Harvey and the gang are going to save themselves. I still love this show though.
3. Undrafted: This movie cracked me up from the beginning to the end. Every single person in this movie is hilarious. Chace Crawford, Tyler Hoechlin, Manny Montana, Aaron Tveit were all in this movie and it entertained the socks off of both me and my daughter Brenna. She loved this movie and loved Chace Crawford’s character the most…especially when he sings “Bands a make her dance” while throwing money. Funny stuff, this movie.
1. O Oe Mo A’u by Sammielz: I first heard this song when watching Chloe and Markus’ wedding video and I really liked the song. The lyrics, really…it’s a Samoan love song and it’s got a pretty melody that sucked me right in. It also inspired the story that I’m working on so hopefully I’ll get that sucker written. Fingers crossed.
2. Countdown by Beyonce: A couple of weeks ago, I attended the talent show for my brother in law’s family reunion because our kids were dancing in it and I was really impressed with how well my nieces Cheridan, Chach and Chelsea danced to their medley of Beyonce songs. This song stood out and it’s been on repeat while at work. I liked it even more when my white guy friend at work sang the song word for word, shoulder poppin’ included. Haha.
3. You and Me by Marc E. Bassey: Yeah, I’m still listening to this song. I’m still loving this song. Probably my favorite song of the summer right now…and yes, I’m listening to it while I’m writing up this post. Ha!
1. Defending Taylor (Hundred Oaks #7) by Miranda Kenneally | 4 out of 5
2. Hell Breaks Loose (Devils Rock #2) by Sophie Jordan | 3 out of 5
3. To Have and to Hold (Wedding Belles #1) by Lauren Layne | 4.25 out of 5
4. Just Kiss Me by Rachel Gibson | 3.75 out of 5
5. Rock Wedding (Rock Kiss #4) by Nalini Singh | 4 out of 5
6. You Before Anyone Else by Julie Cross & Mark Perini | 4 out of 5
7. Back to You (Coming Home #2) by Jessica Scott |
8. Ruthless (Lawless #1) by Lexi Blake | 4 out of 5
9. For Better or Worse (Wedding Belles #2) by Lauren Layne | 4.5 out of 5
10. Torch (Wildwood #3) by Karen Erickson | 3.75 out of 5
I only read 10 books last month and that needs to change because I’m really behind on my Goodreads Reading Challenge. I need to keep reminding myself to get my shit together but whatever, my favorite read of the month goes to For Better or Worse by Lauren Layne. I freaking loved both Heather and Josh. They rocked my socks and even when I wanted to smack some sense into Josh, I loved him. That was such a great book and I’m even more thirsty for Alexis and Logan’s book.
My least favorite read of the month is probably Hell Breaks Loose by Sophie Jordan. There were a bunch of stuff that made me roll my eyes down the street but I did enjoy that book. Reid was a great hero and the way that everything wrapped up made sense so I wasn’t mad about reading that book. Still, of all the books I read in July…this was my least favorite.
Just Kiss Me by Rachel Gibson
To Have and To Hold (Wedding Belles #1) by Lauren Layne
Rock Wedding (Rock Kiss #4) by Nalini Singh
Broken Prince (The Royals #2) by Erin Watt
Stay Until We Break (Hub City #2) by Mercy Brown
Smolder (Wildewood #2) by Karen Erickson
Defending Taylor (Hundred Oaks #7) by Miranda Kenneally
Steadfast (True North #2) by Sarina Bowen
Look at me go. Yay me!
Here are the new to my bookshelves book that I got in July. Some books I bought, some books were gifted to me but most are books that I got for review. Lots of goodies in there, too.
I’m super excited about all of the books that I got this month. Some of the books that I got, I couldn’t even wait to get started so I didn’t. I immediately jumped into them even if I was reading something else at the time. I can’t wait to get all of these books read..so I better not fall into a reading slump.
For Mother’s Day, I got a Happy Planner and I have freaking loved the hell out of this thing. I use it all the time. I plan things out, I jot blog post ideas out in it, I keep track of the things that need to be tracked and set reminders of things that I actually remember and seriously, this planner is everything. I will never not have a Happy planner for all of the years to come. Love!
There you have it…a quick recap of the month that was July 2016 in my life. How did your month go?